Virtusa, within a short period of 4 months, developed the specimen tracking application as a proof concept. Powered by cloud-hosted micro-services, driven by intuitive UX, the solution addressed challenges faced in existing Surgical Pathology process by:
- Automating the process of labeling test orders for specimens using QR code scans and tagging the test order from the application
- Providing a graphical view to track the status of the specimens in real time
- Reducing the chances of misplacing specimens by managing the specimen status
- Designing the OR mobile application to hold data locally and sync with the back-end periodically. This ensured that the app worked, even in the offline mode.
- Designing the middleware micro-services to be auto-scalable using the Azure cloud platform which enabled future growth at reduced overheads.
- Adding validations to ensure accuracy of specimen information
- The mobile layer components and middleware layers followed a modular design, allowing reuse.
- Including wizard features to automatically navigate the user to the next step in the process wherever applicable
- Providing a summary view for a reconciliation of specimens scanned and dispatched from the operating room