Ineffective testing is a major cause of software fails, a fact reflected by recent large-scale security breaches. The 5th Edition of the Software Fail Watch identified 606 recorded software fails, affecting half of the world’s population (3.7 billion people), $1.7 trillion in assets, and 314 companies. Beyond just the revenue, such data breaches also have a negative impact on a brand’s reputation and relationship with customers. Automation in testing can largely help to alleviate these risks, but the #1 barrier for automation is procuring DATA. A study by the Ponemon Institute found that 62% companies use actual customer data to test applications – not an ideal scenario. Unmonitored usage of data is a significant contributor to data security breaches.
This brings test data management (TDM) to the fore. It is hardly surprising then that a well-defined TDM strategy can reduce the risk of data loss, significantly improve the quality of applications, and shorten the time to market.
Why Test Data Management? Why now?
In general, testing teams face many challenges related to test data, which often lead to delays in project delivery, increased cost, poor software quality, or a combination of the three. The typical problems test teams face include, though are not limited to:
- Unavailability of the right type and volume of data for all test cases or scenarios.
- Simultaneous utilization of a test environment by multiple project teams, which often leads to overwriting others’ data sets.
- Lack of data integrity across modules and applications for end-to-end testing.
- Test data may not be auditable. Testing teams struggle to identify which data set was used for a particular test cycle or even what happened to the data upon project completion.
Virtusa helps businesses overcome these challenges and meet stringent regulatory requirements to protect customer information. Our latest venture is a partnership with leading Test Data Management (TDM) tool provider, GenRocket. GenRocket offers a self-service system that allows testers to generate test data in minutes and at fraction of the cost of other TDM solutions. This collaboration with GenRocket helps Virtusa create a niche solution that takes advantage of
GenRocket’s TDM tool features…
- Test data in any format you need
- Test data based on any business logic / rules
- All combinations of data
- The next level of data masking: synthetic replacement
- Generate big data, fast
- Easily build nested xml or json files
…complemented by Virtusa’s engineering expertise
Virtusa’s Optimal Scenario Calculation Algorithm (OSCAr) framework serves as a tool for test design. It helps accelerate testing efforts by simplifying the optimum number of permutations to be tested.
Virtusa Test Automation Framework (VTAF) Improves QA productivity by enabling test automation. It makes automation 3x faster than traditional automation by natural language like domain specific language technology and model-driven method.
Tempo is a holistic deployment automation solution that enables teams to perform deployments without expert knowledge by leveraging existing resources.
… offering unparalleled business benefits
- Optimize testing effort by 20%
- Reduce automation costs by 60%
- Reduce deployment costs by 20%