A sound governance and operational model is key to successful cloud migration. However, most enterprises do not pay attention to this factor, leading to longer migration cycles, higher cross-team interdependencies, and increasing operating costs.
Building a landing zone is therefore a starting point to meet the needs for cloud factory migration, which incorporates best practices followed for operating and governance models.
So, what is a landing zone?
A landing zone is a configured environment with a standard set of secured cloud infrastructure, policies, best practices, guidelines, and centrally managed services. It is the first step in the cloud migration journey for a factory model application.
Some considerations for building the landing zone include the following:
- AWS account creation: As accounts provide segregation at a high level, we need to define the number of accounts that need to be created. Base the creation of accounts on line of businesses, compliance, and environment within the organization.
- Network configurations: Strategize the creation of networks within the account, VPCs required per account, and connectivity between on-premise and cloud accounts.
- Security: Build foundational pieces for identity and access management to identify individual roles and responsibilities. Standardize hardened machine images, build security policies, install robust network monitoring, and log analytics.
- Automation: Automating the infrastructure creation and implementing standard policies for security, governance, and cost optimization would help improve security, enhance management, and reduce cost.
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Cloud Transformation
To help companies to adopt and get the most out of their cloud programs
Building a landing zone offers key benefits, such as
- Reduced manual effort, improved quality, and faster service delivery
- Enhanced scalability, security, and governance
- Increased network resilience and performance
- Reduced operational cloud cost
- Greater operational rigor through shared service model
- Higher agility through well-defined operating model
For a successful application migration to the cloud, strategizing and implementing a landing zone is the starting point.